Flood Electrical Safety Tips
Floods typically cause a range of issues, such as electrical failure, fires, property loss, injury, and even death. Electrical safety hazards resulting from floods are nothing to mess with, so it is important to know how to protect yourself and your loved ones during these emergencies.
When flooding occurs, perform the following steps:
- Do NOT turn off the breaker box power if you are standing on a wet floor
- Use a dry stick or rubber utensil to turn the breaker box off
- Do NOT step into a flooded area that contains electrical outlets, appliances, or cords
- Avoid all electrical devices, wires, switches, and fuses when wet
- Do NOT use anything electrical that has been exposed to water
- Stay at least 10 feet away from downed power lines and contact the electrical utility provider ASAP
To prevent electrical fires in your home, take the following actions:
- Plug appliances into a wall outlet instead of power strips, which might cause overheating
- Never use generators in wet conditions
- Ensure light bulbs meet requirements printed on the appliance and are not too powerful
- Use Ground-Fault Circuit Interpreters (GFCIs) to protect yourself against shock hazards in areas where water might come in contact with outlets, such as kitchens and bathrooms
When flooding occurs, never enter a building by yourself. Flooded buildings are risky, dark, slippery, and potentially full of electrical voltage. If you can access the electrical meter, removing it is a good idea to avoid electrocution. Consider all outlets and switches to be decommissioned until a licensed electrician can analyze the situation.
After a flood, most electrical equipment should be replaced, as most appliances are not rated to withstand even a brief submersion in water. Items that typically need to be replaced include:
- Plastic-sheathed building wire
- Armored cable
- Circuit panels and breakers
- Fuse boxes and fuses
- Sub panels
- Switch disconnect boxes
- Outlet receptacles
- Circuit boards
- Non-submersible pumps
- Blowers and fans
- Air conditioners
- Furnaces and boilers
If you face an unfortunate flood incident, contact State Electric Company who can assess the damage and provide solutions to keep you and your family safe.
State Electric Company is a leader in the electrification of the nation. Our highly educated and experienced team of professionals uses industry-leading software technology and has partnered with manufacturers to deliver affordable solutions for all your electrical needs. State Electric Co. is also an exclusive distributor for Enel X JuiceBox EV chargers for residential and commercial use. We are fully licensed, insured, and bonded to install charging stations for homes, offices, hotels, and more. With our extensive knowledge of renewable energy, our team provides customers – large or small – with efficient electrical solutions. Contact us today to learn how we can safely and affordably meet your energy needs.
Written by the digital marketing team at Creative Programs & Systems: https://www.cpsmi.com/